Been away too long...
I know...it's been awhile. I was doing real good there for awhile at posting more frequently, but then life got a little bit busy on me. That happens sometimes I suppose. When I have been able to be online I have been reading some of my favorite blogs, and perusing the soaps over at Life in a Lunchbox. Nan is hosting another blog giveaway and this time the prizes are gift certificates for some incredible soaps. Some you will just want to eat...but don't do it she says! She has already posted 5 different contests and you can still enter them all before FRI at midnight. There's still more to come too! Check it out!I have been busy on lots of projects....working on the school room and getting myself organized for the coming school year. (We won't start for another few weeks since hubby has vacation right smack dab in the middle of SEPT...and we are going camping! We all can't wait for that! We will jump in with both feet though starting Monday SEPT 17th.) The school room looks great now! I made it to the Learning Palace and "decorated" the walls real good. Will have to post some pics of that in the future. I have all the books that we need for the year now too. Went school supply shopping last week and both Bethany and Sarah are really thrilled with their book and pencil holders on their desks. They nicely hold the shiny new pencils, erasers and scissors without taking up too much room. They keep asking me, "Mom, can't we just start school NOW?" I just love their enthusiasm! It is surprising what a few maps and posters and new pencils can do isn't it!
We had a nice "almost week long visit" recently with my brother and his girlfriend. They flew up from California and we did some fun things like visiting the county fair, driving out to see the beautiful Multnomah Falls and eating lunch at our new Panda Express...YUM YUM! (It is just around the corner from us and we LOVE their orange chicken! My daughters were both drooling when they put the sign up and we rubbernecked out the car window for weeks anxiously awaiting the grand opening!) We also had a big family BBQ at the Sowdon farm (my mom and step-dad's place several hours south.) My uncle (from Maine) and my grandfather (also from California) joined us as well! What a happy reunion it was for us all to be together! My uncle only gets out to the West Coast a few times a year, but he doesn't always make it up our way. He flies out to visit my grandfather...his father...and this time they were able to drive up to see us Oregon folks. I was thankful for our time together as my grandfather is getting up there...he is in his 80s...and his health isn't the best. We prayed for months that he would be able to make the trip and so now we praise God for this answered prayer! I know he so misses watching the children grow up. It did my heart good to see them enjoying each other. And I am always thankful for my time with my uncle as I have always felt close to him throughout the years.
We had a dear friend stay with us for a week, overlapping our family visit. She goes to our church and comes to stay a week with us twice a year. This all began when the boys were born and so many jumped in to lend a hand. The girls love Bethany, (I affectionately call her "my other Bethany") and we have just adopted her as part of our family! She is such a help to me with all the kiddos and when she stays with us I get to do some errand running and shopping ALL BY MYSELF! I can accomplish so much in a few hours without the little ones in tow! She usually comes during the summer for a week and then again during the holidays to help us with our baking. We bake OODLES upon OODLES of Christmas cookies and then share them with our neighbors. They just love this of course! And we get to eat some too!
So, that's what I have been up to. Next week I will have to get organized for the camp trip. I also still have few more small projects that I wanted to do this summer. I hope to get them at least partly accomplished in the next few weeks. Usually at this time of year, I begin to get a bit depressed knowing that fall is quickly approaching and following it comes our wet Pacific Northwest winter. As I have said many times, adjusting to the weather here has been a bit of a challenge for me, having grown up in sunny California. (I know, I know....I'm a bit of a wimp...I'll admit it!) But maybe I am starting to accept the change, as I am actually looking forward...just a wee bit...to seeing the leaves starting to turn their brilliant colors . I have certainly learned to appreciate summer these last few years, keeping BUSY BUSY BUSY during the sunny days, cramming as many things as possible into a few short months. Winding down and staying indoors more actually sounds a bit appealing right now! LOL!

1 Comments:
Ah, you're making the "change"! Every good PNW person gets itchy for the rain to start or for the weather to cool off so they can stay indoors more - see you've done it!
Post a Comment
<< Home