How does your garden grow?
I will have to tell you right up front that I DO NOT HAVE A GREEN THUMB when it comes to gardening! My mother can grow anything and everything under the sun, and she just sent me some pictures of all the beautiful flowers and fruits and vegetables now in abundance on the Sowdon farm. The girls helped plant a corn patch the last time we were there to visit, and she also has several varieties of tomatoes, artichokes, squash, potatoes, beans, chard and lettuce, sunflowers, cherries, apples, pears, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries....you get the idea, the list goes on and on! Last year she did some canning/freezing and we enjoyed the bountiful harvest all year long as she was gracious to share. Anyway, after seeing all that grandma does in growing a garden, Bethany and Sarah wanted to have a little gar
den of their own this year. We didn't have too big of a spot left after all our bark went in, but we did reserve one area along the backside of the house to plant some green beans, tomatoes and "pretty flowers" from seed. They were so excited this week when the bean plants started bursting through the soil...and over the past few days they seemed to have just grown inches overnight! Today I thinned them out a bit and I think we should have about 20 bush bean plants! Guess we will be eating lots of green beans ! The flowers are beginning to come up as well, and there are already some little green tomatoes on the plants. It is fun to watch their enthusiasm and I have to admit that I am a little excited and proud of our endeavor too! I can't wait to eat some yummy green beans and maybe make some homemade salsa!And just for fun...here is another "picture from the past." My mom is also going through some old slides and converting them over to digital. A few weeks ago she sent me this one. It is of me and my "first garden." What a kick! LOL!

3 Comments:
Wow Melanie - your daughters really, really look like you in that picture!
Here's to a sucessful garden this year!
It is such fun for the kiddos to grow something-and get to eat the fruits of their labors! I hope you have a great harvest-and that ya'all like green beans!
That is a fantastic pic of you!! How much fun!
Post a Comment
<< Home