Friday, March 09, 2007

Food in the pantry

The kids and I just got back from Winco. Several of the ladies at church tell me it is the best place to shop, good deals and everything in one store. I had only been there once, after first moving here 2 years ago. I have to say it took me over 2 years to go back. Not that I didn't like the store and what it had to offer, it was just that it's one of those "pack your own groceries" stores, has cement floors like a warehouse...and at the time I was 6 months pregnant with twins so the whole ordeal completely wiped me out for the rest of the day!

I vividly remember trying to pack up my bags quickly so as not to hold up the line forming behind me. In between catching my breath and stuffing things in bags, the cashier asked me how I would like to pay. I pulled out the credit card and was told..."Sorry, we don't take credit cards here." Okay, I'll have to forgo the visa points this time, and use the old debit card. Then I heard, "I'm sorry, we don't take debit cards here either, we only accept cash and local checks." I explained to her that we had just moved here from out of state and the only checks I had on me had my old California address printed on them. She politely replied, "Well, you can go to the ATM over there and pull out the cash to pay for the bill." (With all this jabbering going on, I was getting more and more behind on the bagging, so much for not holding up the line!) I "trotted" with my pregnant belly over the ATM machine, leaving my things on the belt and my 2 girls to trail after me asking why this was all taking so long, all the while informing me that they were "oh so hungry!" We finally got the bill paid WITH CASH, headed to the van, loaded up the grocery bags, IN THE RAIN, and then I proceeded to collapse into the driver's seat attempting to recover before driving us back to our cozy little apartment. Upon arriving there, I carried everything in, down several flights of steps, put everything in it's proper place and spent the rest of the day on the couch!

But alas....we had food in the pantry!

Today was different in most ways, but I still came home feeling much the same as I did before, (and this time I AM NOT PREGNANT WITH TWINS!) The five of us are still very much exhausted after our Winco experience.

Have you ever tried grocery shopping with 4 children in tow? I do it all the time, and for the most part we get the job done without too many mishaps. When I glance around while perusing the aisles though, I never seem to notice anyone else shopping with 4 children. Hmmm. We must be quite the sight! We do get stopped ALL THE TIME, as everyone seems to feel the need to ask a bazillion questions about the twins. (I have the script done pretty well now. LOL!) Oh yes, and I always have to watch to see exactly what I am purchasing upon checkout, as I have found a few "extra" items, that I imagine my dear helpful sons decided to throw in from the shelves.

Things that did go right today on this most recent trip to Winco? I had my checkbook with me so I didn't have to visit the ATM machine! We didn't come home with any "extra" items! HURRAY! I planned ahead for lunch, buying us a huge poor boy sandwich in the deli for $2.99, since I knew everyone would be "oh so hungry" once we carried in the groceries. (Unwrap sandwich, slice into sections and...viola...lunch is served!) Oh and when I started to panic, getting behind in my bagging at the checkout, two dear young ladies behind me chose to come and help me stuff things into bags, AND THEN even proceeded to help me push my 2 carts to the van and loaded up the groceries for me while I put the kids in their car seats! God bless them! They could have just stood there in line complaining, but instead lent a helping hand. I am still in awe at their graciousness!

I guess the big question that I am mulling over right now is...will we shop at Winco next time the pantry is bare, to save a few extra pennies in our grocery budget? I will have to seriously give that some thought...once my headache wears off and my feet stop hurting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home