Thursday, February 01, 2007

Learning to knit...


My oldest daughter Bethany has been learning to knit from some of the girls at church. They have their own little "knitting class" during the announcement time, which takes place after our Sunday Agape Meal. It is cute to watch the older teaching the younger. For her birthday, Bethany wanted to some "crafty things" as she is my "crafty little gal." (She can spend hours with a pair of scissors, a stack of paper, colored yarn, glue, scotch tape and whatever else she can find around the house.) One of the gifts she received was a Holly Hobby Learn to Knit kit, which includes everything you need to knit your very own purse, complete with embellishments! Although I know absolutely nothing about knitting, Bethany asked me to please help her with her project. A little intimidated, I reluctantly agreed. Yesterday we sat down together and learned how to make a slipknot. This took me quite some time, as I am very uncoordinated and couldn't seem to figure out the little diagrams on the instruction sheet. Who draws those funny pictures anyway? (It doesn't help that I am a leftie and every set of instructions seems to be written as if everyone in the world is right-handed!) Well, the lesson in slipknots ended with Bethany figuring it out before me and so this time the younger ended up teaching the older! It was quite comical I might add, her playing the role of teacher and me the student. Today we practiced "casting on." Another lesson taught by my wonderful teacher, Bethany! LOL! I don't really think that I am helping her much at this point, but hey I just might learn to knit before this whole thing is over with! It was fun to just sit down and enjoy some one on one time with my oldest, listening to her "wisdom" about things I know nothing about.

2 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So funny, Melanie, Anna picked up knitting this year, too. It is a great hobby. I can imagine following the charts when you are a lefty would be difficult. Maybe you could go into business making lefty knitting diagrams!

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

Really...I wish Anna could join us in our knitting sessions! LOL! It is a fun hobby for girls their age!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home