Stop to smell the flowers.....

The kids and I have been trying to get out and walk each day while the weather allows. We've been pretty regular about it the past few weeks I am proud to say! We have our little route that we take every time and so we are getting to know the streets and different houses quite well. I had to chuckle today as I noticed that the girls anticipate each "place" just before we arrive at it. My youngest daughter especially likes to skip up ahead and announce what is coming! Today she could hardly wait to get to a favorite rock pile and show me "all the pretty colors of rocks!" At first I was a bit annoyed that I was having to stop and look at nothing more than a pile of stones, but then I realized that maybe if I could just see things for a minute through her eyes, I could enjoy a bit of God's creation with her. After all, aren't I always telling my children how many wonderful things our God has created for our enjoyment? So as I stared as this little white rock that she held in her hand, I began to see it through the eyes of a 4 year old! After that little experience, the walk sort of took on a whole new meaning. I found myself admiring the piles of fall leaves on the ground, the different varieties and colors of flowers in the yards, the smell of the clean crisp air. I even forgot about my "to do list" for a little while. We stopped to smell some fragrant roses along the way. I think tomorrow as we walk around the neighborhood, I will be anticipating a few things along with them.....taking time to smell the flowers, and gaze at some lovely colorful rocks! How often we rush around, being busy, so caught up in our own thoughts, that we forget to stop and enjoy the little things around us. May we all be like little children, taking a moment to appreciate the often forgotten things in life. I think it may do us all some good!

3 Comments:
I think I too should stop to appreciate and enjoy all that God has put around me, instead of running around trying to straighten it all up to my liking!
Thanks Sarah!
Love ya
Mom
Just think! When your boys are a little older you can start to appreciate the smells that little boys find interesting! You can see through their eyes the virtues of spiders on your hand and worms in your pocket!
Won't that be fun?
Hehe
Love ya',
PC
Papa Chanoli...
Oh boy...spiders and worms! EEEEK! I think I will have to stop and take a few deep breaths before enjoying those! Hadn't thought ahead that far but you are right...it is sure to be interesting! My girls like cute little ladybugs and the rolly-polys...now those I can handle!
Post a Comment
<< Home